Spring is in full swing – and summer is just around the corner. Get your home ready for the hot months ahead by installing a ceiling fan. Nearly every room can benefit from a ceiling fan – but consider adding a fan in your most commonly used living areas such as a guest bedroom, living room or outdoor room.
Incorporating fans into your design scheme greatly reduces energy costs, while providing comfort, style and ambient lighting for almost any room of the home.
What You’ll Need: Your ceiling fan mounting hardware, down-rods or ceiling fan accessories, screwdriver, step ladder, wire strippers, wire connectors, electrical tape, pliers and safety glasses.
Be sure to carefully read all instructions in the manufacturer’s manual before beginning installation.
- First, turn off the power to the existing light at the main breaker box. Once you confirm there is no electricity flowing through the wires, remove the former ceiling fan or fixture you wish to replace.
- Next, attach the ceiling fan mounting bracket to the junction box in the ceiling using the supplied mounting screws and lock washers. Pull electric wiring from the junction box through the center hole of the mounting bracket
- Now it’s time to assemble your fan. Pull wires attached to the fan motor through the down-rod, canopy and other trim. Insert the rod into the motor housing unit and use the connector pin and cotter pin to secure the rod in place. Tighten the setscrews in the side of the down-rod.
- The next thing you’ll do is connect the wires from the fan to its counterpart in the ceiling. Simply match the wires color-to-color. Secure the matching wires with wire connectors. If your fan has a light, attach both remaining wires to the remaining hot wire in the box using the wire connectors. Secure all wire connectors with a layer of electrical tape.
- Once wires are set, push the wires back into the junction box. Seat the canopy, covering the box and mounting bracket, and tighten all screws to secure.
- Now, you’re ready to assemble the fan blades and arms. Fasten the blade brackets to the blades with the screws provided. Attach each blade arm to the main unit with lock washers and blade arm screws.
- Following the instruction manual for your light kit, install the lights and shades into your ceiling fan.
Now, just turn on the power, flip the switch and enjoy the breeze!