Spring has sprung! With warmer temperatures and blooming flowers, it’s the perfect time to be outdoors. Whether hosting an alfresco dinner party or simply playing in the backyard with family, extend the longevity of your gatherings past daylight hours with well-designed lighting. Illuminate the season and define your outdoor spaces with these handy lighting tips:
- Multi-Dimensional Design: Outdoor lighting provides increased visibility and security, with an added element of ambience. Set the scene to suit any occasion this spring with multi-dimensional lighting. A well-lit landscape should include elements of both beautiful and functional fixtures that create visual interest throughout the space. Wall sconces like this one illuminate any entertaining space with style. Add in string lights woven underneath umbrellas or across structure roofs to increase visual depth and create a warm, inviting area.
- Feature Focus: Great landscape design reflects personal style and emphasizes the things you love most. If you’re fond of the front flower garden or have an impressive water feature in the backyard, show it off! When uplighting, keep this general rule in mind: use warm light on man-made objects and cool light on plants.
- Charted Course: Walkways are key areas to light so that guests can navigate safely within an entertaining space. A series of path lights show the way while also complementing architectural elements of your home. Designs range from modern to traditional, with something for every home style.
- Intriguing Elevations: No spring makeover is complete without lighting levels. A great way to bring height to your outdoor design is to use trees for down lighting, also known as moon lighting. This technique adds a bit of whimsy, sending a subtle glow from the treetops. Use down lighting to highlight a focal point in an entertaining area and be prepared to receive countless compliments about the beautiful tree branch patterns.
- Article contributed by the home experts at Beazer Homes.